domingo, 19 de agosto de 2007

Casa Quivira - the Aftermath

On August 12th, an orphanage here in Antigua (very close to where I'm staying) was raided and taken over by police. One news story on it. Another news story.The name of the orphanage is "Casa Quivira" and the situation has everyone here fostering feeling uptight. The orphanage is run by an American and many of the children were adopted to American families. They are reputed to be a very good orphanage.

The legal papers the orphanage has for the children are the same as the ones we have. It's letters from the lawyers, and signed by the birth mother, saying that the holding party is allowed to foster the child. Some foster mothers here in Antigua are not taking their children outside the house because, if the police could take the children from the orphanage there is nothing to stop them from taking them from any of us. Perhaps the fact that we are American citizens will help (no-one wants an international incident) but it might not.

I don't think I will be able to stay in for very long. I don't have someone here to watch Isabelle when I go out, and I have things I need to get.

No hay comentarios: