jueves, 14 de agosto de 2008

Fine Mexican Dining

My student from the ESL class, Sergio, had invited me and my family to come and have Mexican food at his house. He is from the state of Chuahua in Mexico and is very proud of the food from there, and rightly so I found out last night. Sergio and his wife, Yolanda, made us two types of chili rellenos (one with cheese from Chuahua), one with meat), soup made from white dried corn, and quesadilla's made from a special type of cheese they make in Chuahua from the whey left over from making other cheese. We also had 4 different types of salsa.

The meal was amazing. It was delicious. I was sooooo full.

And Sergio showed me right way to drink tequila, with lime and salt. Now I can fit right in down in South America :-)

You were a bit of a hellion, running around and grabbing anything that looked breakable. I ran around after you for part of the time, taking all the cute ceramic sculptures out of your hands and putting them on high tables you couldn't reach. You had a few small tantrums, kicking and screaming and making it hard for us to eat. Other than that, you were good. And you were the center of attention for part of the night, with everyone saying how beautiful you eyes and eye lashes were. Sergio did note that you were a lot like a wind-up toy, running around in circles. It's a pretty apt description. They tried to distract you with candy and playing ball and dolls with Victoria, their 8 year old daughter, but you ignored the dolls got tired of playing ball. And you wouldn't sit still and watch cartoons with her.

Yolanda was a lot of fun to talk to, and her English is very, very good. When a friend of hers came over to eat some of the food, she translated anything that was said in Spanish so Robert and I wouldn't feel left out. I actually found it nice to hear Spanish again and to see if I could follow some of it. I really need to do another Spanish lesson with our Rosetta Stone.

No hay comentarios: