miércoles, 14 de noviembre de 2007

Well Baby Visit, 8 1/2 months

Today we went for our first well-baby visit in the US. All of her tests at the adoption clinic at OHSU came back fine. Her doctor ordered a test for anemia since one of the pediatricians in Guatemala thought she had a little and her second Hep B immunization. I had forgotten to bring Isabelle's bottle (brought the formula, not the bottle, but it doesn't help) so I was wondering how we'd survive the shot and blood draw. Fortunately they do a great job at Westside Pediatric Clinic. The nurse had her sit on my lap and the blood they got from the cutest tiny pin pricker from her finger. That was all over before she realized what had happened, and a piece of a wagon wheel and playing with the band-aid took her mind off what had happened. And the nurse was really quick with the immunization, too, and did it while she was still on my lap. Even I hadn't realized it was over til it was done. Again, tiny bit of crying and then she accepted another piece of wagon wheel and played with the band-aid on her finger again. All in all, very well.


She's in the 75th percentile with her height, which surprised me. Since she was only 5.5 pounds at birth and so many Guatemalans are short I expected Isabelle to be on the short side, but she's not. I guess I knew that, though, from her clothes because she wears the clothes for her age. She is in the 25th percentile in weight so her doctor wants me to fatten her up. I'm not sure how her cheeks could get any fatter, but I'm willing to try. Actually, she is eating really well. Along with her 8 ounces of formula 3 times a day, today she ate part of a gyro sandwich, blueberries, kiwi, string cheese, whole wheat cracker, carrots and potatoes, and part of a soy dog, and she gobbled it all up. After dinner tonight Robert said she looked like she'd plopped her face in a blueberry patch :-)

It's amazing how much Isabelle adds to my life. It's actually really awesome. watching her grow is both humbling and fascinating. Isabelle has added a lot to both Robert's and my life, in ways that are hard to describe. We have become what I wanted, a bigger circle of love.

No hay comentarios: